Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/drumstyx1986/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-twitter-timeline/wp-twitter-timeline.php on line 236

The Chris Creech

Some mostly coherent ramblings

Babies, Churches, and Car Sales: My 2015

Well, 2015 didn’t go at all as I was expecting. Most years don’t, but it seemed like God worked above and beyond this year (and tested us constantly while He was doing it). Here’s my top 3 big things of 2015.

Family

Obviously, the biggest 2015 change for us came in March when Caleb was born. Watching him grow has been one of the biggest joys of my entire life. The lack of sleep, repeated watchings of “Baby Genius: Nursery Rhymes,” and constant smell of poop throughout our house has been completely worth it. My wife and son are incredible, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I’ve loved making the change from a family of 2 to a family of 3!

Genesis

Obviously, the big recent news of 2015 was the planting of Genesis Church. It became obvious to Jeff, Ben, myself, and several others that Audrain County needed a different type of church. The Missouri Baptist Convention places Audrain County at around 70% unchurched, so we knew that with the number of churches that are reaching a different demographic, we needed to be different to have an effect on the unchurched population. I can definitely speak for the other leaders when I say that this was a big step of faith. We all quit jobs, started jobs, left jobs, turned down ministry jobs, changed insurance policies, redid our budgets, started new ministry approaches from scratch, built new ministries, and the list goes on and on. One of our trusted advisors even asked us if this would ruin our resumes if something went wrong. Yup, it definitely could. But we went out on faith, and obviously it’s going pretty well as we wait for our official launch on Easter. Oh, and by the way…it was one of the best moments of 2015 when I found out that both the guys that I had pastored with for years would be helping with the launch. I was also pretty thrilled when people that I knew had a heart for ministry began jumping in to help out with various aspects of ministry.

Car Sales

I think any of my thoughts about 2015 would be highly incomplete if I didn’t get to my short stint selling cars. Obviously, this was something we did in order to make Genesis work. Despite the long hours, this was a pretty enjoyable time. I worked with some great people that I am very appreciative of. I have been in vocational ministry for 9 years in February. While I got and am continuing to get great education, 99% of pastors will tell you that their best education came from experience. I’m pretty sure the other 1% haven’t gotten the right experience yet. It’s odd, but it seems like some of my best ministry experience came from car sales. It taught me a good deal about culture, relevancy, and how church needs to work to reach people. It taught me about what people think of God outside of the church walls. I’m incredibly grateful to God for giving me this experience and the people I worked with for getting me through it.

Like this? Remember to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Pin on Pinterest

1 Comment

  1. Good words Chris. I am especially grateful for the opportunity to meet you and to watch as you went about your day to day responsibilities in a car dealership. Your light never went dim. Not on the busy days or during the long boring days. Not in the midst of constant changes, training, coaching, or critique. I have often said I think every minister should have to sell cars for a year , and be a top performer, as part of seminary. Then they could truly speak from experience about the things like integrity, hard work, rejection, confidence, meekness, success, and losing. And how it is to experience it all in one day! And then get up and do it all again the next and the next and the next. The experience of selling vehicles is a baptism into everything people go through in life.
    You my friend did it all while maintaining the reflection of Christ. You gained and never lost the respect of everyone you worked with while selling vehicles.
    I am thrilled that you are back doing what you were so obviously called to do. I am excited about all that you and your brothers in Christ are doing in your quest to advance the kingdom!
    Hands to the plow,
    Rick Wiggins

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

© 2017 The Chris Creech

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑